First, let me tell you what GHz signifies.
GHz is the measurement value of the processor’s Clock Speed of a computer. The higher the GHz, the faster the clock speed. It means how quickly the CPU interprets instructions. A 2.6 GHz will run faster than 1.6 GHz.
One can use either 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz named as a Single-band router or Dual-band which comes with 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz.
The most important thing is to know the difference between both. Depending on your needs, you can choose one or both.
Features of 2.4 GHz
- It’s a standard band. This is the most usable band for everyone. A lot of devices can be connected to this like Bluetooth devices, microwaves, wireless cameras, and many more. As lots of devices are being connected, there is a big chance to get overcrowded that makes trouble. Because of the interference, your Wi-Fi loses its high speed. It slows down the Wi-Fi speed which will make you frustrated in the end.
- 2.4 GHz band has 11 channels of which 3 are the non-overlapping channel. So, the options are very limited.
- It transmits data at a slower speed and has a longer range so it penetrates the other floors.
- As it is not used with every device, it doesn’t face any interference. The band makes the Wi-Fi speed faster.
- 5 GHz band has more channels for communication than 2.4 GHz of which 25 are non-overlapping channels. So, you have more options to choose from.
- As it has a higher frequency, it transmits data at a faster speed and has a shorter range so it doesn’t penetrate the other floors.
We hope this article helped you in understanding the difference between 2.4GHz and 5GHz.
You may also want to see 5 awesome Windows 10 tips & tricks to boost your productivity.